Friday, November 30, 2007

A MAJESTIC BULL BROKEN




This morning Kevin was awoken by our neighbor with the news of an injured bull elk that was resting in a field just behind our home. He was informed that fish and game had already been alerted and was on their way, so he quickly grabbed the camera gear and headed over to photograph it. We have been so bogged down in weddings that our poor 500mm F4 lens (I lovingly refer to it as my baby bazooka) has been severely neglected as of late, sitting in a corner accumulating dust. It was nice for it to see the light of day again :-).

Kevin used the car as a blind (this often works very well when photographing wild animals) and a beanbag for support. I am usually the one who photographs wildlife and I must say I am quite good at it - better than he is :-). Not really, I am just teasing him because people see my work from Kenya and often give me a lot of the credit for our nature and wildlife work, but Kevin is an amazing photographer at this style in his own right, so I am glad to show off some of his photographs - love ya dear :-).

All kidding aside, we really felt sorry for the elk. We often have a bachelor herd of five that visits our yard regularly and we wondered if this was one of them. One of his antlers was broken and he was limping quite badly. It is possible that the rut took a heavy toll on him, but who knows what really caused his injuries. Whatever the reason, his life is definitely in peril. He was eating which is a good sign, but ultimately we will probably never know what his future holds. When fish and game arrived, the bull was scared off and limped into the depths of the forest and disappeared in the mist of a fine rain. We wish him well and hope he doesn't suffer too much.

No comments: